Welcome to a Joyful You
Posted on Sep 12, 2016
2. There is no such thing as a "real yogi" or "real yoga". Everything you experience in a yoga class has been carefully placed and planned to help you feel your very best, to become (even if only for a moment) the best version of yourself. It is beautiful and it is magical and parts of it are historical. For the most part, it's all just a combination of little things like music, movements, scents, poses, stretches, words, and props that help you relax and access that highest version of yourself.
3. No one is looking at you. First of all, you have your eyes closed for most of any yoga class. If there ever happens to be a time that people's eyes aren't closed and you feel awkward, just close your eyes!! A yoga class is maybe the only place on earth you can spontaneously close your eyes and no one will think twice about it! It’s great! Also, the experienced yogis in the class will be focused and concentrated on listening to their own breath and body, so they're definitely not looking at you. The other beginners are so worried about themselves and their journey and trying to figure it all out that they're definitely not looking at you either! Yay!
4. Everyone else in your class was also a beginner at one time too. Yogis are truly the nicest and most encouraging, empathetic group of people EVER. They literally practice spreading peace, love and joy everywhere they go, it doesn’t get much more supportive than that. Everyone in that room will remember when they first started their journey and will encourage and help you as much or as little as you want.
5. Yoga is not just a workout. I know your sole motivation for thinking about yoga right now might be your abs, or your butt, or your inflexibility - probably anything other than, well, your soul. However, if you go in with an open heart and a desire to really practice yoga, I think you will be amazed at how the transformation will run a lot deeper than just defined abs or great shoulders. Don't worry, you'll get those too!
6. Beginning new things is good for you, period.
Ready to take a class at Joy Yoga Center? Get back to the basics this month with our Fundamentals of Yoga classes, Beginner Workshops and our Fundamentals Series. With all those options, you're sure to find the perfect one for you!
By Holly Coneway